CrazyNomad Joburg to Cape Town Day 6

After a wonder night with the Van der Merwe’s, we managed to get away quite early for a change and we made Kroonstad without any further issues. Arriving in Kroonstad we filled up with fuel and off I went to the liquor store to get some beer (as we do). Here I started chatting to the lady running the store and once again without hesitation she whipped out some cash to donate to Little Fighter’s Cancer Trust. We enjoyed our breakfast with some beer and we hit the road once more.

Now we were heading for Bloemfontein 215 km away. Due to all the breakdowns on the dirt roads, we decided to change our route completely. We made the decision to get on the National highway N1 directly to Bloemfontein to try and make up some lost time. Sounds great, however these bikes are not allowed on the N1 but that was not going to stop us. Our philosophy was lets ask forgiveness and not permission.

So we set off and it was not too long before we reached the sign with Cape Town 1219 km. We knew that we were going to be riding much more that that as we were riding west from Colesburg to get as much of the Karoo as possible. With this detour we were adding close to 400 km onto our trip. But seeing Cape Town on this sign board really cheered us up and we were in high spirits once again. We were determined to get as close to Bloemfontein today. We were riding without hassles, passing one cop after another, most of them hooting and waving at us as they were so intrigued by our bikes they never even thought that what we were doing was against the law. We had pushed our luck too far though. We had passed Welkom and well, it was inevitable, we were pulled over by a cop, we’ll call him Jaques Dup, dont want to give his surname away, he might get into trouble. He was still a very young man and very proud of the job he was doing as an officer of the law. He first informed us that these bikes are not legal because we did not have registration plates, indicators, etc, etc… Naturally we argued because he had no idea what he was talking about. This naturally infuriated him and he called for a truck to come and collect the bikes and impound them. Now I really started to argue and he proceeded to try and prove that he was correct as after all he was an officer of the law. He called the local prosecuting officer and she confirmed that he indeed was correct. I argued some more and he the called the office of the National Prosecuting Officer. Finally someone knew what they were talking about and he had to drop this harassment. However we were not in the clear, this kid was bright and he wanted a piece of us now. He realized that we were on the National Highway and we were indeed breaking the law, oooooops. Now it was time to start asking forgiveness. We explained that we were riding to raise funds for children suffering with cancer and if there was any way he could assist or escort us from the highway, we would be very grateful. He immediately said that he can’t do that but we must take the very next exit. We had dodged a bullet and we agreed that we would get off the N1 immediately, we shook hands and we were friends, thanks Jauques. This forced us to change our route once again and it took us on a dirt road that was probably the worst that we had encountered and the bikes were taking a beating once more.

We were now traveling north (wrong direction) on a terrible dirt towards Virginia. This is not what we needed at this time. I was in good spirits though because we were riding through prestine South African Nature, I was in my element. This part of the trip was exhausting though, temperatures were soaring, our water supplies were low, we had no food and our fuel supplies were very questionable. We made Virginia though and it was all worth it in the end because all of this was adding to this insane adventure that at some weird time in my life I thought might be a great idea.

We got into town, bought some beer and Tony was starting to feel the effects of his big fall in Kragbron. He could hardly walk and just sat down outside the liquor store and drank a cold one ……. or two. I then went in search of food while Tony tried to recover a little. Once I found some Karoo lamb chops and a huge piece of rump steak we loaded the bikes the beer and meat and made our way to a camp site on the river that I had spotted on the way into town. Tikwe Game Lodge, what a great spot. The best part was an ice cold swimming pool, this is just what we needed, and a few beers naturally. We made a great fire, ate like kings, drank a bottle of whiskey and our spirirts were high again. The bikes had really done well and besides a few punctures, I really started to feel like we were going to make it to Cape Town.

Published by


After many years in business, mostly being self employed and enjoying many things this great country has to offer, it is finally time to leave South Africa. My partner & daughter have already relocated to Poland & I am planning my adventure through Africa & Europe with my mode of transport being a Motorized Bicycle, my trusty steed "Dale" as seen in my Profile Picture. Hopefully on completion of this journey I will be the first to achieve this route through Africa on a Motorized Bicycle. Why am I doing this? Well firstly because it is something I have always wanted to do. Secondly, I have gone through many traumatic experiences over the past few years, some of which could have taken my life and the bucket of my bucket list would still have been full. It is just time for me to start living & putting my bucket list into action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *